Pop star Sophie Ellis Bextor today unveilled the brand new MGTF at the Brussels Motor Show. The model shown was a Trophy Blue 160 which is due to go on sale in the UK next month. The car will then be rolled out into other parts of the world begining in the Spring.
MG announces on the 8 January, details of the new MGTF – successor to Britain’s best selling MGF sports car that it will replace in February 2002 and styled by MG Rover Group’s renowned designer Peter Stevens. The TF has evolved from the popular MGF and features a new exterior appearance, an all-new suspension design, higher performance engines and a host of new paint, trim and hood colours.
New pictures: MGTF Image Gallery
Key changes include:
* Body shape – front, side and rear styling and aerodynamic improvements.
* Headlamps incorporate projector and direction indictor lamps.
* Entirely new suspension for enhanced driver involvement and response.
* Multi-link rear axle with precise kinematics control.
* Coil springs replace the interconnected Hydragas system.
* Solidly-mounted subframes for improved handling responsiveness.
* Greater choice of paint colours, interior trims and optional hood colours.
* Contemporary interior treatment, with new fabrics and revised instrumentation.
* Higher performance K Series engines.
Rob Oldaker, MG Rover Group’s Product Development director, explained: “The MGF has proved to be an amazing success having dominated its sector for the last six-years. The introduction of the new MGTF will enhance this popularity further. I have no doubt that the new TF, with its fresh new design style, new suspension with revised rear linkage geometry and a rich choice of feature specification and colour will produce even more exhilaration and retain MG’s sales pole position.”
The aggressive and purposeful style of the MGTF is sleeker and sportier, with a lower stance made possible by the inclusion of new:
* Front bumper formed for aerodynamic performance with MG grille identity.
* Larger front grille aperture and MG badge.
* Rear bumper housing larger exhaust pipes.
* Headlamp units incorporating projector lamps and direction indicator.
* Body monoside with new shape mid-engine air-intakes.
* Boot lid with integral aero spoiler and high-mounted LED stop-lamp.
* A number of enhanced customer choice items include new:
* Paint colours include XPower Grey and Le Mans Green.
* Coloured hoods – three new optional colours; blue, grey and green.
* Alloy wheel designs; 16″ 11-spoke on TF160 and an optional ultra-lightweight.
Four models now give customers a progressive range of performance, power and specification. Designated by numbers close to their power output the four-model range comprises:
* 1.6-litre TF115.
* 1.8-litre TF135.
* TF120 Stepspeed sports auto.
The new TF incorporates a number of substantial changes, which includes a new suspension design. A completely new suspension utilises coil springs, to produce a responsive and involving set-up. The entire suspension and ABS brake systems have been enhanced and result in a completely enjoyable driving experience.
The new MGTF will debut at the Brussels Motor Show on 15th January 2002 at 10.30am.
The new MGTF will replace the current MGF with sales commencing in February 2002. Since its launch in 1995, 77,000 MGFs have been produced, with over 40,000 sales in the UK making it Britain’s best selling car in the sports sector for the last six years.
The launch of the MGTF, nearly six months earlier than anticipated, once again demonstrates MG Rover Group’s ability to deliver outstanding products within industry-leading time scales.
In an interesting repeat of history the original MGTF Midget was launched in 1953, during the same period that the company introduced new ZA Magnette saloons. Similarly the latest MG Z saloons – MG ZR, ZS and ZT have been a great success following their recent introduction.
Which track holds the record as the most-played song in a single week in the history of both the U.K. and German charts?
“Can’t Get You Out Of My Head” by Kylie Minogue – already number 1 in 17 countries! And soon she’ll be heading for the US with her brand new album Fever, which is due for release on Feb 26!
More info: NY Rock
A man goes to the doc, with a strawberry growing out of his head. Doc says, “I’ll give you some cream to put on it”.
A man walked into the doctors. The doctor said “I haven’t seen you in a long time”. The man replied “I know, I’ve been ill”.
So I got home, and the phone was ringing. I picked it up, and said “Who’s speaking please?”. And a voice said “You are”.
I had a ploughman’s lunch the other day. He wasn’t very happy.